Friday, July 2, 2010

Bunny and I Part 1


The photo isn't mine, I got it from Google. I do not claim it as my property.

For those who have known me in my FaceBook, you would know that I've been approaching wild hares that often come to our backyard. So, here's some bit of a personal little story and experiences that might help a bit for those who would want to take a peek into the animal world.

Before I start anything, I will have to say that I'm no expert since I didn't go to school for animal behavior, animal psychology, animal medicine or any sort, so this is just a bit of observation that I do on my own time and interest.

Anyway, like many professionals would say, animals communicate with body language, scent, smell and sound, but most importantly it's all about the energy that gives out information on what kind of state of mind any creature is in at the moment, it could be happy, confident, relax, calm, assertive, neutral or it could be sad, nervous, skittish, anxious, insecure, submissive, dominant and so on.

Now as for wild hare, or wild rabbits, they tend to be nervous, skittish and very cautious towards everything that surrounds them. Well, of course if you put yourself in their shoes, imagine everyone wants to eat you, I would put all my money betting you would be the same as them. So, approaching them would not be an easy task to begin with. Do you know how long it took me just to let the rabbits get used to me being around them? That's everyday for more than 2 hours for a week and a half!!

Let's start by rewinding the date about a month ago, although I have been putting out fruits, such as apples and pears, and carrots in our front and backyard for quite some time already, but I felt it wasn't as challenging as I would like it to be, I wished to get to know wild animals in another perspective instead of from research and facts out of other people and that's when I decided to get more of a personal touch with one of the gentlest wild animals on Earth, the wild hare.

In the beginning, the rabbits were very suspicious to see me suddenly pop up from no where and trying to give them apples. In their point of view, I posed a threat to them. As a result, they kept their distance from me, even though I laid on my back, trying to give them a message saying that I wouldn't attack them and I'm relaxed. But that wasn't enough! After I did a bit of research on the rabbit family, I realized that the rabbits hate strong scents like perfumes, essential oils or just out of the shower scent, since to them, it's quite intolerable. And guess what I did next. That's right! I've stayed neutral scented by not putting anything on, approach them before taking a shower and wear the same unwashed "Rabbit Uniform", as I call it. But somehow, those rabbits were still nervous around me. As I searched for an answer, it struck me that animals also have very strong sixth sense! Unlike dogs, who are predators and would definitely approach humans from one way or another, rabbits are preys and tend to stay away from anything and everything that they think it's a threat. So the central energy of mine will have to change from treating a predator (I had a dog before and an avid dog lover.), which requires calm-assertive energy, to treating a prey which is calm, neutral and peaceful. And you know some? It worked! The rabbits aren't as nervous as before! Although they were still keeping their distance, but they would start grooming their fur, eating grass and fruit and curl up and rest while I'm there with them. It was quite rewarding.

Next time, it would be a Part two on taming rabbits. Keep coming back to see what's new! Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment