Monday, May 17, 2010

Lion Fish


Have any one of you seen the movie, Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo, where there's a lion fish in Antoine's home? If you have seen this movie, then you will know where I'm going at for this topic. You're absolutely right! It's going to be lion fish!

When it comes to the lion fish, or Pterois species in a professional term, we might think they come from warm places like Hawaii or some place like that and in a way, they are. Their origins are from Indian Ocean and Pacific Ocean. Their size is typically around 12 in., or 30 cm.

Like a real lion, they are proud and eye catching, which made a lot of fish lovers try their best to get one of them to add their collections. Of course, also like a lion, those fish just won't back down when facing trouble, they tend to stand up for themselves and fight for their survival.

When they are under attack or under threat, they would spread their fan-shaped fins to their maximum size and sting the opponent with the tip of their fan-shaped fins. Which clears up an old misunderstanding, the fish itself doesn't have any poison, its their spiked fins that contains the dangerous dose.

You know, even I, myself, also had this misunderstanding when it comes to them being poisonous. It was actually kind of a relief for me to learn that the fish, itself, isn't as dangerous as it seems, because I thought to myself, "Well, if I must touch one of those lion fish, all I have to do is to touch the body, not the fins, so I would be safe."

As for their homes,they live on coral reefs and their diet includes smaller fishes and shrimps.

No comments:

Post a Comment